Thursday, May 31, 2012

Book Review - Speak to Our Desires by Brenda Clough

How did I come into possession of this book?
I received this book through LibraryThing Early Reviewers program.  I didn’t realize it was an e-book and I don’t have an e-reader so I read it on my phone.  This is why it took me forever to read, so now I try and avoid e-book reviews if possible, at least until someone buys me an e-reader…
What is it about?
The story centers on a detective who is presented with a missing person’s case by a very beautiful woman.  He soon finds out the missing person is this woman’s mother and they both have a special ability to read minds and thoughts of others and sometimes influence those thoughts.  The story continues in the search for her mother as well as giving the reader an in depth background of her life leading up until now.
  
What did I think?
I enjoyed this book.  It has the aspect of reality with the slightest touch of fantasy/sci-fi which is a genre I enjoy.  It was a bit confusing at first since you didn’t know when the story was jumping around different times.  You would be reading in current time and suddenly go back 10 years ago in the next chapter with no warning or reasoning to why you are suddenly learning about the past.  A lot of times this bothered me since it never really seemed to tie anything up.  I guess by the end if just gave you a full picture of her life, but up until then I was a little frustrated.  This was the only downside, the writing was great and I really felt for both main characters.  To my surprise I also liked the ending and the way everything was wrapped up.

Who would I recommend it to?
If I had a physical copy of this book I think it would’ve been a fairly quick read.  It’s a bit of a typical detective story with a twist.  So especially if you like detective stories I would recommend this book but I would also recommend it to someone who just wants to read something new (since I can’t quite put it in a genre of its own!).

No comments:

Post a Comment