Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Audio Book Review - Delirium by Lauren Oliver


How did I come into possession of this book?
I had heard a lot about this book as a young adult, dystopia book. Of course this is one of the most popular genres right now and of course I was very interested in reading it. When I saw it available in audio form at my local library I didn’t think twice about getting it to listen to!


What is it about?
This book takes place in a future where they have found the “cure” for love. It was determined that all problems in their society could all be traced back to love and so by eliminating it they are a much more orderly, content, and safe society. The story follows a teenager who is set to accept the cure in the next few months. All her life she has awaited this and known the reasons for it, but (of course) she meets someone who turns her whole world upside down and makes her question her society.

What did I think?
I’m a sucker for these books so I read listened to it quickly and couldn't wait to get in the car so I could find out what happened next. But since I have read a lot of very similar books in this genre they all seem to meld together and have a very same feeling. This one felt very similar to Matched, and I feel like they could all be derived from The Giver (one of my favorite books of all time). Even though I eat these books up, I really want to find something new and good in them. This one didn’t seem to offer that, but don’t get me wrong I still thoroughly enjoyed it!

Who would I recommend it to?
If you read and liked Matched or any other YA dystopia with an emphasis on relationships you will like this book. It does feel very young adult, and I know that turns some people off, so avoid it if you don't usually like YA books because they feel juvenile. This one with the lack of love and then suddenly finding it can feel at times like a teenage romance. One thing that everyone can enjoy is the writing, even though the story might feel young it is written beautifully and you really won't be able to put it down once you start!

No comments:

Post a Comment