Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Book Review - Divergent by Veronica Roth

How did I come into possession of this book?
This book is part of the Semi Charmed Book Challenge I’m participating in. This fits the category of reading a book in one day. I knew it would have to be some sort of young adult or other page turner of sorts. I had also heard really good things about this book (again, young adult dystopia, it’s my favorite and the hot topic right now). I did have to wait about a week and a half for one of the 35 copies to be available from my local library, but once I got it I put aside a whole afternoon, evening, and next morning to read this 500 page book.


First Lines:
          “There is one mirror in my house. It is behind a sliding panel in the hallway upstairs. Our faction allows me to stand in front of it on the second day of every third month, the day my mother cuts my hair” (Roth 1)

What is it about?
In a futuristic world, in the ruins of Chicago, you are divided into 5 different factions and during your 16th year you decide which faction you want to be a part of. Most chose to stay with the faction they were raised in but when Beatrice decides to choose a different faction she surprises everyone, including herself. This starts her on a competitive initiation process and she starts to learn disturbing things about her new and old factions and the world they live in.

What did I think?
I really enjoyed this book, and it was a perfect book to read in one day because it was a page turner that kept me very interested. I love that a lot of these new young adult books have strong female characters (some adult books should take note, cough cough 50 shades cough ) and Tris is a very easy character to relate to. I do have one complaint about it though and I’ll try to keep it as un-spoilery as possible. Towards the end of the book things take a big turn and this happened suddenly in a frustrating way. I wish there had been a bit more buildup to it or maybe just have the events take more time, it was like suddenly everyone was an enemy and I really didn’t enjoy that. I guess the ending as a whole left me a bit disappointed. But, of course, it left with a cliff-hanger and everything is going to change in the next book and I will be excited to read it!

Who would I recommend it to?
If you liked the Hunger Games this would be another good young adult book to read. It’s not quite as well written as the Hunger Games (or even Delirium), the writing is more straight forward and simple, giving it a younger feeling. But the story is great, the world that Roth created is intriguing and makes me want to know what else she has in store for us in the next 2 books!

I’ve included a new section in my reviews, First Lines, in hopes to get some of you hooked enough to read it, too! Also, check out what else I’m planning to read (and what I've read so far!) for the book challenge and let me know if you have suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment