Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Book Review - The Onyx Bridge by Sophia Malamas

How did I come into possession of this book?
The author of this book sent me a copy in exchange for a review on my blog.  It sounded like an interesting fantasy book and potentially could be a good series so I agreed to read and review it!


What is it about?
Evelyn is suddenly thrown into a different world and a very long adventure.  She soon realizes that there is a prophecy she needs to stop and that she is the one who has to do it.  She finds herself in a world with creatures who are friends and foes and all new to her.  

What did I think?
This book wasn’t for me.  I didn’t really get some of the descriptions of the creatures in this new world.  Evelyn’s love interest is suppose to be irresistible, but when we are first introduced to him he doesn’t seem attractive at all.  A lot of the characters in the new world are likened to different animals and I then couldn’t picture them as anything but animals, not different creatures with a likeness to a certain animal.  I also had a hard time staying interested in the story, I never really felt like they were getting anywhere.  small events happened that were interesting but I never felt like they were moving towards an overall plot.  I also didn’t think it left me wanting anymore in following books, there wasn’t an overall driving factor that made me want more.

Who would I recommend it to?

I don’t think I’d recommend this book unless you are a hard core fantasy reader and enjoy all kinds of different worlds, especially ones having to do more with animals.  It wasn’t for me, but I think I need a bit more reality in my books.

No comments:

Post a Comment