Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Book Review - Altered, Revelations of the Evolved by Shawnda Currie

Why did I read this book?
I was contacted directly by the author.  The book sounded very similar to books I would enjoy since it’s a young adult, science fiction/fantasy book.  I also enjoy being contacted by the author directly, this usually results in me agreeing to read and review a book :)


What is it about?
Lacey is involved in a wrong place/wrong time type of crime and end up at a center for teenagers who have found themselves in trouble.  Immediately the place is not what it seems. She befriends an interesting person who she soon realizes has special abilities.  She learns that she has special abilities as well and the next thing she knows she finds herself as one of the people to help save the world from a disaster.

Why you should read it!
I enjoyed parts of this book, but not all of it.  The adventure parts of it felt very disconnected from the underlying love story.  They just didn’t blend well together, but separately they were fine.  I liked how this book got you hooked right away; I was immediately drawn in and interested in what would happen.  It will be interesting to see how this trilogy turns out, but I wasn’t left desperate for the next one.  My final critique is the cover, I highly dislike it.  It makes it look like a self-help book or a religious book.  I’m not sure what should be on the cover, but a washed out landscape doesn’t seem right to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment