Thursday, September 13, 2012

Book Review - Cold Light by Jenn Ashworth

How did I come into possession of this book?
This was a book that I requested an early review copy from the publisher and, luckily I received it!  It sounded like a book I would enjoy (although it wasn’t quite what I expected, more on that below), and the tag line on the front leaves you wanting to read it.



First Lines:
“They’re showing it this afternoon.  A ceremony to mark the first spadeful of earth, and when it’s built, a ceremony to open the thing, I bet.  I bring a bag of Doritos and a box of wine with me to the couch.” (Ashworth 3)

What is it about?
The book centers around Laura (or Lola), and looks back on a tragic event that occurred when she was in high school.  It goes between present and the time leading up to the accident and all the events and characters surrounding it.

What did I think?
This book was not what I had expected, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it.  From the cover and description I pictured a somewhat quick, almost YA book about a murder that had happened in a small town.  But I was given a much heavier story with very interesting characters all with a very British feel to it.  Since I thought this would be a much quicker read, things started off slowly, but as soon as I got into the bulk of the story, I was hooked.  I could see myself in Lola and at times in the other girls, too.  The plot took some unexpected turns which I was happy to see since some of it was predictable.

Who would I recommend it to?
Anyone who wants a good literary read with a little bit of British feel.  There wasn’t so much of a mystery so don’t come in expecting that, but you will get a good story with characters that are very interesting and surprisingly easily relatable.

Check out these other reviews from fellow bloggers:
The Life & Times of a Book Addict

Did you read this book and review it on your blog? Let me know in the comments and I'll add your link!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Annie, thanks for checking out my blog and blog post! You are right, it is a dark read. Not exactly what I thought it would be, but still good. I am now a follower of yours. Good luck with your blog :)

    ReplyDelete