Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Audio Book Review - The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot

How did I come into possession of this book?
This was a library audio book.  I always checked the young adult section as well as the adult section when looking for audio books, however, the young adult section at the branch closest to my home doesn’t have a lot of selection.  What they did have was almost all the Princess Diaries books or other books by Meg Cabot, so I thought I should give them a try.  I loved the movie (movies? Were there two?)  and didn’t realize they came from books until recently, so of course I was interested!


First Lines:
“Sometimes it seems like all I ever do is lie.”  (Cabot 1)

What is it about?
Mia is your average awkward high schooler, with a couple close friends who are just as quirky and a crush on a boy who probably doesn’t know her name.  Then she finds out she is the only heir to the Genovian crown, and her life is immediately changed.

What did I think?
This was a quick and easy fun listening experience.  Some of it is a little hard to grasp since most of it comes straight out of Mia’s journal, which might be better to read than to listen to.  But I still enjoyed it.  I knew most of the story since I’ve seen the movie, but for once I think I like some of the stuff the movie did better than the book!  I love that the movie takes place in San Francisco, not Manhattan, in my opinion a better city (I’m not biased at all).  Also, with Julie Andrews play grandmére you can’t not like her, in the book you never really like grandmére, but I love the way Julie Andrews portrayed her as more of a grandmotherly figure.

Who would I recommend it to?
I think this is a must read for young teenage girls, it’s just a fun story that is well written.  It’s also a good read if you like girly young adult books (which apparently I do).  As an adult reading it, it’s not a bad read, very well written, but you will probably read it in a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment