Monday, July 18, 2011

Book Review: Miss Garnet's Angel

So I missed yesterday...oops...oh well I guess I'll just carry on...

I love to read and I'd like to document some of that here, so on with my first review! (I feel like I'm setting it up like a grade school review)

How did I come into possession of this book?
This book was given to me by my mom.  It has always been one of her favorites and she happened to see it at a used book store, so she bought it for me!  She knows I love getting books and book recommendations from her (and really anyone else!).


What is it about?
The main character, Julia Garnet, is recently retired and then loses her best friend, who was everything to her since neither of them ever married.  Julia decides to do something she's never done and take an extended vacation to a different country, Italy.  There she meets all kinds of new friends.

What did I think?
I thought I would love this book.  Sadly, I didn't and I'm still not sure why.  I might've been the style of the writing that didn't capture my attention or it could've been that I never felt like I connected with any of the characters.  Most of the chapters were split up into two parts, one was the main story and the other was an old text that the main character was reading.  I had a very hard time following the old text and so I found myself skimming a lot, but it all proved to be important in the end and I think I missed some of the story.  I also wasn't a fan of the ending.

Who would I recommend it to?
I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone since I didn't particularly enjoy it.  But if you like books that take place in Italy (which I usually love), you might give it a try.  Since it is one of my mom's favorites I'm guessing there are others out there who will like it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment